Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The nursing home difference

I've been a nurse now for almost 2 1/2 years now and it is amazing to me how much I have learned.
I have 2 jobs at the moment, one in the IMCU at Huron Valley and one as a contingent nurse at Clarkston Specialty. What a night and day difference these two jobs are. I don't even know where to begin.
The hospital is busy, but a different kind of busy. Its not all task oriented and knowing exactly what to do and when to do it, because things change on a daily basis. There are nights when I hear the endless dinging of telemetry monitors and have to monitor my patient closely, but those days seem few and far between.
The nursing home is a whole new ballgame. Right upon walking in the door, there is always some sort of drama. Someone called in, nurses scrambling to get someone to stay over and cover the floor, someone complaining about seniority...too much drama to have to deal with everytime I work there to be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment