Monday, December 12, 2011

My new job

About a month ago in a whirlwind decision, I took a new position in the IMCU or as most people know it, Step-down ICU. I loved the 3rd floor, but I really was starting to feel like I learned all I could there. Acute illnesses are fairly easy to care for and are treated and go home. A glorified Dilaudid pusher, I was. Or that is what I felt like most days. I never really felt like I was truly helping someone, I was just getting them through. If they started to go bad, I sent them to another unit. I've never really had anything "bad" happen.
In the IMCU, I have had to learn or relearn many things. These people are legitimately sick. They have problems...well most of them. Insulin drips for the diabetics, cardiac drips for the heart problems, telemetry for everyone and a lot of involvement by the doctors. It doesn't seem so difficult, its just learning when to give medicine and when to not...I am still learning. The pain medicine is not as often or asked for all of the time...it feels weird to me. No pain?, really? It seems like such a foreign concept to me coming from my old unit. I've been in "orientation" for about a month now and I will likely get another month of it so we'll see how much more I can cram into my brain. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment